9th May 2019 sees a new UK law that ends a 15-year exemption for diesel bowsers that do not adhere to ADR road carriage requirements. This blog discusses what this means for businesses, why it’s needed and how you can stay compliant.
What is the new UK legislation for diesel bowsers?
In 2004, diesel and gas oil were reclassified as flammable and combustible liquids. As a result, new road carriage requirements regulated by the ADR had to make sure these fuels are transported safely on public roads, to eliminate the risk of spillage.
The ADR issued a 15-year temporary period that ran between 10th May 2004 – 9th May 2019 to give industry time to adapt.
What does this mean for my business?
If you transport fuels in a bowser that’s classed as a tank rather than an intermediate bulk container (IBC), or it was manufactured before 10th May 2004, it’s time to say goodbye to your tank, as you will no longer be permitted to transport them on public roads.
Bowsers manufactured after this date are required to meet the standard of an IBC under ADR regulations so should already comply.
Does my tank meet new regulations?
To tell whether your tank is an IBC, there are a few ways to find out:
- All bowsers manufactured after 2004 are type-approved to adhere to IBC standards and ADR regulations
- IBCs must legally be able to have a capacity to hold 110% of its contents. If your tank is single-skinned, it will not be classed as an IBC
- Your documentation you received when purchasing your bowser will state whether it’s an IBC or tank
- If you have an IBC, it will have approval or manufacturer plates, or the UN packaging symbol/ designating its type
- If your bowser has pressure testing and external inspections every two years, it’s likely it’s an IBC as this is a legal requirement to ensure they’re road-safe
How can Speedy Fuels help?
We provide a wide range of high-quality fuel, lubricant and AdBlue storage tanks in all shapes and sizes to suit your exact requirements. Whether you need to replace your bowser with a bulk onsite IBC or a smaller tank for on the move, we can help.