Now is the perfect time to get your heating oil tank in order before winter begins buy ordering home heating oil before winter hits its peak. Don’t wait for temperatures to drop before you place your order. Refilling your tank in the autumn is best as you usually get the best price.
Make sure you take a good look inside your heating oil tank before putting oil in there. Once the oil goes in there, it can be hard to spot anything that may be causing problems.
Over time your heating oil tank can experience all kinds of problems if water manages to mix with the oil. However, the water will sink to the bottom of the tank making it difficult to spot. The walls and the roof of your oil tank can condensate because of the heat differences during the summer. This can cause water droplets to form and drip into the oil. Rain can also get into your tank from damaged lids or vents. Therefore, it’s important that you check your tank before refilling.
The sludge in the bottom of the tank will be disturbed when fresh oil is pumped in. This is when the criticisms about the quality of the oil start to pour in.
Particles and flakes of rust can fall into the oil if you have a metal tank. The metal can be eroded by the water in the tank leading to contamination in the tank.
The oil can struggle to get to the pipes if the water freezes during the cold winter weather. This can cause all sorts of problems as water will now be entering your boiler.
We have 10 tips that will help you ensure you are winter ready.
How can I spot contamination in my heating oil tank?
Contamination and water will be easy to spot now that the levels of oil in tank should be quite low. It is also wise to check for wear, cracks and damage to your tank.
If you’ve got water in your tank, the best option is to have the water pumped out.
Call us now on 0330 123 3773 for the latest heating oil prices.
Best Tips To Help You Save on Your Heating Oil Prices
- Check your oil storage – have you got any room for a summertime refill? Central heating oil prices are generally at their lowest during summer. However, do not fill your oil tank entirely during warm weather. Oil must have room to breathe.
- Consider your forthcoming oil necessities now, and look to purchase as much as you can during the summertime months while central heating oil prices are almost always lower than in wintertime.
- If you need to check that you are dealing with a genuine distributor who adheres to the UKIFDA Regulations, use the ‘Find Your Local Distributor’ facility on the UKIFDA (UK & Ireland Fuel Distributors Association) website where you will likewise find information about ordering oil, central heating oil prices and changing supplier.
- Contemplate joining a native oil-buying group. Purchasing together makes for extra efficient oil supplies and consequently lower central heating oil prices. To find your nearest native oil purchasing group and for additional information on oil clubs see the info on the ACRE website or the Citizens Advice website.
If central heating oil prices are out of your budget there is help available
- If you have trouble in paying for your entire order beforehand, check out cost-effective methods to help you to do this. Your native credit union might know how to help, and some oil purchasing schemes have a pay-as-you-go option.
- If you are struggling to pay for oil, check that you are getting all the assistance that you are entitled to. Your native Citizens’ Advice centre can support you with this.
- Check that your oil tank is as safe as it can be against oil robbery. Measures you can take consist of installing a lock, an alarm that goes off if oil drains away rapidly, CCTV and safety lights. Additional advice is obtainable through the UKIFDA.
- Ensure that your insurance plan covers your oil container – most household insurance policies do not consist of this in normal cover, you will need to add it as an extra.
Central heating oil prices are lower in Summer
Did you know that you tend to get the cheapest central heating oil prices in the summer? But, when it comes to ordering central heating oil you can get a headache from trying to work out which supplier offers the best overall service. During winter almost 2 million households across the UK depend on heating oil to stay warm.
Getting cheap central heating oil can get your head in a spin, especially now when there are so many suppliers to choose from. This blog post will help you know when you’re getting the best heating oil prices.
OFTEC will be able to tell you which suppliers serve your local area. It is important to know which suppliers serve your area because you’ll just run up your phone bill by ringing suppliers that aren’t local to you.
Order Your Central Heating Oil In Summer
In summer you will generally get a cheaper price. Even though you may not need the fuel right now, it is best to have it delivered now.
Also, the colder the weather the higher central heating oil prices are likely to be. This is simply the case like with many other products, when demand is high, prices will be high. You will end up paying an arm and a leg if you order last minute. So if you want to get the lowest price, compare prices on a regular basis.
Negotiate The Price Of Central Heating Oil
Some central heating oil suppliers might try to sell to you at a higher price, so try to negotiate a better price. A good technique is to tell one supplier what you’ve been quoted by another. At the end of the day they want your custom, so they will do their best to match or beat the price.
Buy Central Heating Oil In Bulk
The more fuel you buy, the cheaper it’s going to be. It may be worth contacting your neighbours and see when they’re ordering as the price will likely be a lot lower when a tanker can deliver a lot of fuel in one journey.
For competitive central heating oil prices, call Speedy Fuels today.